Countdown to Fashion Week: Nobody Panic, but '80s Are Back




My friend from Florida just emailed me obviously distressed: "Please tell me it's not true: '80s fashion is back? I went shopping and I'm seeing harem pants!" My friend had also seen new shots of Sarah Jessica Parker in the "Sex and the City 2" movie showing Carrie decked out in Flashdance white sweats, pearls and a bad mall perm.

I doubt harem pants -- which started popping up last year -- will catch on big because they are really hard to wear, especially the really full harem pant legs. As for the full-on '80s trends, Patricia Field -- the costumer behind the SATC gals -- has pushed the fashion envelope before with looks that definitely didn't translate to real life (tutus, shirts with no pants.) So just because she's decking out SJP in bad '80s fashion doesn't mean your local department store will be selling off-the-shoulder sweats next season.

But many designers, especially Marc Jacobs are celebrating an '80s moment in fashion (Marc Jacobs' purple ensemble for fall reminds me of Prince back before he became a door-to-door evangelist.) (Photo Credit: Kristian Dowling/Getty Images)
http://fashion.about.com/b/